Friday, March 28, 2008

Neva Dinova


Neva Dinova
Omaha, Nebraska
(Folk/Rock)
The Scene: SXSW 2008 and I have the extraordinary ill luck to be sick as shit. Aimlessly meandering on one of those nights, slightly grouchy (Probably from the lack of either medicine or alcohol in my system) I wander into Emo's Jr. and happen upon the very end of the set by a band called Neva Dinova.  Immediately I was hooked into a song that I couldn't tell you then name of even if I tried to remember but in the good kinda way. Caught up in the unfailing coolness of the track (And overwhelming need to either pee or vomit) I now regret not going up and shaking that young man's hand but as we know, So it goes.
Now if ever one was in need of composing a mix of "Songs To Kill Thyself To" that list would undoubtedly be dominated by two bands: Bright Eyes and The Cure (Unless of course you're 12 then My Chemical Romance might rear it's ugly head) but hear this, for a newcomer should join that list and that newcomer should be flamingly obvious to you. Neva Dinova composes music that makes me think "Bright Eyes: Plugged in for the first time", While not sparse tracks like "Cloud" sound... selective and very intentional all while not letting you realize it. Now Lucky for us the Neva Dinova and Bright Eyes collaborated on a split EP entitled "One Jug Of Wine, Two Vessels" that when one of my humble readers purchases and sends to me :) will undoubtedly force my and many others premature death's via the virture of sadness. The EP and the band's signing to Saddle Creek records suddenly thrust the band into a spotlight that helped it produce some of it's best work to date.
Get several free tracks from the band's
and a Punknews review of One Jug Of Wine, Two Vessels

No comments: